国鉄トム60000形貨車 - Tomu 60000 (JNR)

Only minor detailing was required for Hobbymodel's kit - adding brake hoses, handrail grabs and coupler lift bars (which I must get better at, these are quite coarse!). Following a good suggestion from Mark Newton on the JNR Forum (http://www.jnsforum.com/community/) I fitted Steam Era Models 10.5mm dia. 23.8mm axle wheelsets, choosing Code 88 for the finer appearance. I have used Steam Era Models (http://www.steameramodels.com/) products for much of my other modelling and their wheelsets are both very accurate and very true, these are no exception and I will be using them for all subsequent stock where appropriate. The underframe detailing on these kits really surprised me given I understnd this to be an old kit. For new modellers, the decals work best if soaked in hot water - I wasted quite a few before I realised this. The wagons were spray painted gloss black before decalling, with the brake angle and step support being picked out in white, before weathering and dullcoting.